Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What happened?

So you are probably all wondering what happened. Am I ok? Why has it been so long since I posted? I promise I am fine. But this isn’t a perfect world. Cyber space in particular isn’t perfect. We lost Internet connection in my house, and it wasn’t fixed until yesterday. Never fear. Because you have been so long without me, I am going to post what I find to be quite an interesting story. Mom I will preface this by saying, “I’m OK so don’t worry.”

Last weekend I went out with three of my buddies to Brick Lane. Brick Lane is in East London and during the day is known as the Indian Ghetto. It has great food, traditional shops, etc. But at night it turns into quite a trendy area so we decided to head there.

We went to a bar called “The Chill Spot,” which was very pleasant. After a pint there we decided to check out a different place. It was walking there when this all happened.

We all noticed a woman who we at first mistook for a fairly attractive young lady. Boy were we mistaken. She was actually a middle aged woman who looked quite drugged out and had the leathery face to prove it. Well I guess I looked at her a little too long. I was in the back of the foursome. She looked at me a long time, too. She had an angry expression in her eyes. It looked like it wasn’t her own brain doing the controlling. But, like I said, I looked at her a second too long.

As we passed her she said, “You don’t like games, any of you.” Then she looked at me with the most frightening sunken eyes I have ever seen. She wound up her right arm and smacked me quite hard against the left side of my jaw. I looked again at her and she started mumbling jibberish. It was a little frightening, but I was OK. We continued to walk and when she was out of sight we all had a good laugh. I had been bitch slapped quite literally.

But it got better. We settled with our second pints in the second place. It was a very Spanish-type bar and had lively music. The beer was awful, but that’s another story. Just as I got comfortable, I looked up. There she was! She was standing outside the big bay windows! I won’t lie and say she had followed us. She wasn’t peering in looking for me or anything. In all likelihood she didn’t even remember our little altercation. Still, seeing those eyes again made me shiver. When we finished our pints we walked quickly by her. We were safe when we got underground.

Photos are from different things including my office.

Comments Welcome,

Andrew

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

Interesting story about the beating from the she-devil. Maybe I'll get to meet her next week!

Hey did you check out the second hotel? Is it far from you. I'll call you this weekend to finalize plans. Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,That was a good story At lease you walk away from her without saying anything.I would have open my big mouth. Alan

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the forewarning when you told that story. I don't know if I ever told you some of my stories when I was in Spain, but I had a few similar incidents (which I probably never told Grandma or Grandpa -sorry, Dad). If you're interested, I'll tell you about them when you get home.
I'm glad you're safe and hope you didn't have any bruises from the experience.
Love, Mom

Andrew Waite said...

Dad,
Let's hope not. Yea the hotel is close. No longer than a 15 minute walk.

Alan,
Yea I knew I couldn't provoke her.

Mom,
I'm glad you appreciate the preface. I'd love to hear your stories. No bruises. My jaw was a little sore the next day.

Anonymous said...

I was on a subway train going to see grandma (before we were engaged) when a man came over and whispered in my ear that if I did not let him kiss me he would jump off the train. I did not know what to do so I got off at the next station the man saw me and started to jump up and down and was blowing kisses at me. For a few months I would walk to grandma's house
Love Grandpa

Andrew Waite said...

Grandpa,
Haha. I think you should start your own blog for all the great stories you have.