Sunday, April 6, 2008

Americanness

So my coworkers told me they thought I was British. I am not sure how I feel about that. First of all let me clarify what they meant: They meant that based on my demeanor and the amount that I talk and the way that I conduct myself they think I come off decidedly English.

On the one hand, it is true. I am a fairly reserved American, which means I am slightly more British than I am American. I do feel comfortable with the British affect. Like I have said before in this blog, I am happy not to have to be falsely friendly and happy not to have to talk to people I would rather not talk to and happy not to have to make small talk.

On the other hand, does that mean I am a bad American? If I would rather be British and behave like them, am I somehow betraying my country? Perhaps I don’t even care too much about betraying my country. I never really thought about my patriotism before coming here. I hate the Patriots. That much I know. But I really don’t know what I think about Americanness.

In a certain way, it doesn’t exist in the same way that Britishness exists. We are such a mish mosh of everyone that there is no way to look at someone’s demeanor and say, “Aha! American!” The very fact that I could be said to act British proves that.

I guess that’s what I like about America. It really isn’t definable.

So maybe I need to find the place in America that is most like England. Then I could be comfortable in my immediate surroundings but have easy access to the most diverse country in the world. If you find a good sized Island in the States let me know.

Comments Welcome,

Andrew

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, You are just yourself and there isnothing wrong with that.If you where like everyone that would make life boring.Also how would you have the freedom to do what you want. You would never know who the Jets are or care. Alan

Anonymous said...

Andrew,
Except for Grandma Harriet, you come from a group of reserved people on both sides! I think it's a compliment that your co-workers thougtht you were a Brit, although I'm not quite sure what they thought about your accent-I know you must talk a little.
Mom

Nick said...

RHODE Island, perhaps? =P

I think we can just settle that you're not a very good American nor Brit. That way both sides win, and we still don't have to talk to people. haha.

Nice post. Good insight regarding cultural bounds.

Andrew Waite said...

Alan,
That's true. America is quite free, but so is England.

Mom,
I'm glad you think it's a compliment. They meant that if they didn't hear me speak they would think I was British.

Nick,
I like the Rhode Island suggestion. I've never been there. I'll accept that. But I am a great person IMHO.
Also: StuVi! StuVi! (fingers crossed)

Steph said...

You're a regular Benedict Arnold, Waite.

I completely agree: Madrid could not be more opposite... Needless to say I'm excited for my trip to England in a few weeks and even more excited to get stared at for talking to strangers on public transportation.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. talkative...It's not that you don't talk, you only talk about things that are interesting or important There are to many people that talk and talk and talk and talk nonsense. The exception was grandma...Love Grandpa

Anthony said...

People thought I was a Brit too. But I think it was more because my jeans were too tight, my teeth are crooked, my hair was a mess and when I had to poop at work, I would say "back in a tick, chaps, need to use the Lou!"

Andrew Waite said...

Grandpa,
I agree. And I tend to be quietest when one person is talking too much.

Serrano,
I agree that you have a certain British quality. But once you open your mouth I think you'd have more trouble hiding your Americanness than I would. TMI. TMI.

Matthew Whitrock said...

Long Island is a large-ish island.

...that has almost nothing in common with Great Britain.

Nick said...

Can I get an update?